GSHIP, the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan, is the medical health insurance plan offered by UCR to all registered graduate students. All UCR graduate students are automatically enrolled in GSHIP when they pay their UCR registration fees each term. Students who are enrolled in a private medical insurance plan that meets the waiver criteria may waive out of GSHIP.
Click the expanding cards below to read more about GSHIP.
Why SHIP is a Good Plan
- SHIP provides nationwide coverage- Exchange plans or private insurance plans may not provide national coverage.
- SHIP offers the most convenience- Students can see a doctor and nurse on campus with no out-of-pocket expense. X-rays, lab work and even prescriptions are available. With other health insurance plans, students pay out-of-pocket or will have to go off campus for covered care.
- SHIP provides vision and dental coverage at no extra cost– With many other health plans, vision and dental coverage is EXTRA.
- SHIP meets all the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
- A student can be covered by SHIP even if the family is participating in Covered CA or a home state exchange plan.
Description & Summary of Benefits
The Summary of Benefits Coverage provides a snapshot of benefits information such as out-of-pocket, copayments, and deductible amounts. In addition, the SBC provides information regarding what the plan covers as well as additional costs associated with the plan.
A description of the benefits of GSHIP is found here:
Cost of GSHIP
The annual cost of the mandatory Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) of $3,794.70. ($1,264.90 per quarter) or comparable insurance will be factored into grants and loans offered to students who receive financial assistance.
More on Fee Remissions and the GSHIP Plan Fee: